Loosysmokes is an award winning modern Circus company that seeks to create synesthetic spectacles that swallow an audience. The company is made up of a close-knit group of hardworking artists, craftspeople and performers produced by Elaine Mc Cague and Jonah McGreevy and is a unique combination of circus, spectacle, dance, theatre and visual art. Working with the shapes of waking dreams, the glimpses at the edges of eyesight, and the intensity of lightening struck they aim to create a visceral experience that ends deep in the gut of the viewer. Their two major works to date Behind the Dark and Raven Eyed have both received five star-reviews, toured to sold-out audiences, and been nominated for multiple awards.
Elaine McCague – Aerial performer/ multi-disciplinary artist/ Co-Creative Director and Producer of Loosysmokes and previously PaperDolls Performance Company
Jonah McGreevy – Co Creative Director and Producer of Loosysmokes/ Acrobatic Choreographer/ Aerial and Acrobatic performer.
Craig Cox – Musical Creator/ Inventor and Technical Director.
Craig is a sound designer, composer and musician who creates original soundscapes using a mix of site specific sound, recorded instrumentation and vocals. Craig has a broad and unique portfolio of work including both film and performance. He supervises all technical aspects and contributes artistically to the development and presentation of the performance.
Conor McCague – Stunt rigger/ lighting and sound technician/ inventor/ artist
Conor is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of many. Straddling the border between artist and craftsman, Conor is as at home with intricate mechanical sculptures and as large scale rigging projects. His stunt rigging skills underpin the physical side of productions.
Deirdre Griffin – Choreographer/ dancer /acrobat
A serious talent, performing nationally and internationally, with years of training, performance and development of successful work, Deirdre joins Loosysmokes as a choreographer, dancer, acrobat and wall runner.
Hazel McCague – Designer / visual artists/ curator at Lay of the Land
A talented textile designer who specialises in weaving and has a keen interest in textile art, installation and collaborative work. Hazel brings an eye and technical talent to design sets and props large and small.
Major Productions to date:
- Oct 2018 Night of the Shifting Bog premier at the Bram Stoker Festival, Dublin.
- Sept 2018 The LightKeepers Last Stand, Dublin Fringe Festival.
- Aug 2018 The LightKeepers Last Stand premiers at Kilkenny Arts Festival.
- Sept 2018 Electric Picnic Music Festival headline performance at Trailer Park.
- June 2018 Behind the Dark, Mirabilia Festival, Busca Italy.
- Aug 2017 Raven Eyed (Premiere) at Kilkenny Arts Festival
- Sept 2017 Raven Eyed at the Dublin Fringe Festival
- Jun 2017 Body & Soul Festival performances
- Oct 2016 Behind the Dark at Bram Stoker Festival
- Aug 2016 Behind the Dark at Kilkenny Arts Festival
- Aug 2016 Roustabout at Doneraile Court, Cork.
- June 2016 Alternativa 2016, Gdansk, performed ‘the Pull’ with Ella deBurca
- June 2016 Body & Soul Festival performances
- May 2016 Roustabout performed at Drogheda Arts Festival
- Sept 2015 Behind the Dark, winner Best ensemble award Dublin Fringe Festival 2015
- Aug 2015 Roustabout funded by the Arts Council Circus Project Award 2015
- Jun 2015 Body & Soul Festival performances
- May/Aug ’15 Genus Quercus performed at Drogheda Arts Festival & Kilkenny Castle.
- Dec ’14 Behind the Dark, developed & performed in the woods of Phoenix Park.
- Sept ’14 Genus Quercus commissioned by the OPW, World Parks Day, Phoenix Park
- June ’14 Body & Soul Festival: ‘When the Monsters Arrive” woods experiments.